Friday belonged to the bulls.
All four indexes posted significant gains…
- Dow Jones +1.2%
- Nasdaq +2.1%
- S&P 500 +1.5%
- Russell 2000 +1.9%
The strongest correlation to the market advance was that of the Ukrainian military.
Zelensky Gets Offense
Over the past week…
- A top Russian general was reportedly captured
- Ukrainian towns have been liberated
- Claims now top 50,000 Russians killed
A recent CNN article has linked the Ukrainian advance to the market gains.
While anything is possible … Both advances appear to be in shaking ground.
- The market doesn’t need Ukraine … Ukraine needs a strong market.
- Bettering market conditions mean western government support is less likely to encounter strong opposition.
All 11 sectors finished higher on Friday.
The heaviest buying was focused on…
- Communications (XLC) +2.8%
- Energy (XLE) +2.5%
The weakest advance…
- Utilities (XLU) +0.4%
Robinhood launched an investor index tracking its user’s top holdings, “weighted by … conviction.”
At writing, the top five are…
- Tesla (TSLA^)
- Apple (AAPL)
- Amazon (AMZN)
- Ford (F)
- AMC Entertainment (AMC^)
Bitcoin^ is holdings its gains.
- This morning 1 Bitcoin will cost you about $22,250, up nearly 20% from last Wednesday’s low.
- The buying was spurred by headlines that the Biden administration is considering a mining ban.
- Our stance hasn’t changed … This is a buying opportunity.
DocuSign (DOCU) popped 11% on Friday…
- The software company posted better than expected earnings and a higher forecast.
- The stock is down 78% from last year’s highs.
But there’s still resistance in play…
The SPY is clearly looking bullish, but the day-to-day is unclear.
Our signals provide little additional guidance today…
- The VIX is below critical resistance
- The Put-to-Call Ratio is neutral
- RSI levels are neutral for all four major indexes
When the market falls on a Friday and again on Monday, it often marks an inflection point.
But 2022 is different.
This “rare” event has occurred 12 times this year.
Last weekend (Labor Day) was the 3rd in a row. But Friday broke the streak.
Here’s a chart from our friends at Stock Trader’s Almanac that provides some indication of what might be to come.
History tells us further downside is possible … but likely limited.
We’ll have close eyes on today’s close.
- The market has likely already bottomed.
- We expect a strong rally in Q4, a positive close today will add to our case.
This morning futures are on the rise.
Tomorrow we’ll get the latest CPI inflation data.
*APRN resistance at $8, support at $7
IMRA support at $2
SPWR support at $27
AGIO support at $32
RVNC on watch
SEEL support at $1.20
ISEE support at $17
^GEO support at $8, resistance at $9
ARDX support at $1.20. Resistance at $1.40
PGEN support at $2.60
TCRT on watch
RUN resistance at $26
^GERN support at $2.50, resistance at $2.80 (we’ve taken half profits)
TAL support at $5