Markets ended the day lower on Tuesday ahead of the latest headline CPI inflation reading.
A deeper dive reveals some winners and losers.
4 of 11 sectors closed in the green. The sectors that outperformed the markets were the safer bets…
- Energy (XLE) +1.8%
- Utilities (XLU) +1.1%
- Real Estate (XLRE) +0.8%
- Financials (XLF) +0.5%
The losers were Communications (XLC), Technology (XLK), and Consumer discretionary (XLY), with losses ranging from 1% to 1.6%, respectively.
Musk Sell More Tesla
A series of filings with the SEC revealed that Tesla (TSLA^) CEO Elon Musk dumped another 8 million shares of TSLA stock worth about $6 billion.
Musk took to Twitter (TWTR^) to explain the sale…
“In the … event …Twitter forces this deal … it is important to avoid an emergency sale of Tesla stock.”
- That deal is the purchase of Twitter.
- Musk proposed the deal and is now trying to back out of it.
- This is the first time since April that Musk has sold shares of Tesla.
- Filings are here, here, and here.
Yesterday’s selloff was of no concern as far as the technicals are concerned.
The S&P 500 is facing resistance, as you can see on the chart below (yellow line).
I see two setups.
- A double top as marked by the orange arrows (bearish)
- Inverse head and shoulders marked in blue (bullish)
The market doesn’t have to pick. We believe that’s the most likely case. Expect to see a short-term decline followed by a continuation rally.
Other indicators are neutral this morning ahead of the CPI inflation report…
CPI report drops at 8:30 am.
- The White House has preempted most negative economic news with some sort of downplay/excuse.
- Yesterday and this morning, the Biden administration is silent.
Our expectation is that inflation has peaked. This is the same conclusion we drew last month. Here’s what you need to keep in mind…
- There are no guarantees.
- The market’s reaction is more important than the number itself.
*FAZE is on watch
*ANTX support at $1
^*NNVC support at $3
AEHR support at $15
TMDX support at $40
MYMD support at $5
TPIC on watch
COGT support at $12
SIGA support at $20-22
AERI support at $10
ALDX on watch
RYTM on watch
TCDA support at $12
YELP support at $36
MRSN support at $6
CBAY support at $3.50
CYTK support at $50
BLU support at $11
Secondary watchlist … +100m float
DVAX support at $15
ARRY resistance at $17.50
TCRT support at $1.50
FOLD support at $11.50
^GERN support at $2
GSAT support at $1.50